Top Ten Reference Books from William & Nina Matheson Books, Inc.
Nina Matheson of William & Nina Matheson Books, Inc. provided this list. It is, as she says, "not in any order of importance or usefulness. That
varies so much depending on the books in question. But using the criteria of what would I hate to be without, these are the ones that come immediately to mind. There are many others."
- The OCLC database (known as WorldCat or First Search). Indispensable
for accurate bibliographic information. Especially helpful to determine
works by authors for which no bibliography yet exists. Relative rarity
can be inferred from lack of library holdings.
- Reginald, R. Science Fiction and Fantasy Literature. Detroit, Gale, 1979. Plus supplements.
- Hubin, Allen J. Crime fiction 1749-1990. New York, Garland Publishing, Inc., 1994.
- Contemporary poets. 6th edition. New York, St. James Press, 1996.
- Contemporary novelists. 6th edition. New York, St. James Press, 1996
- Smith, Geoffrey D. American fiction, 1901-1925, a bibliography. New York, Cambridge University Press, 1997.
- Bibliography of American Literature. New Haven, Yale University Press, 1955. 9 vols.
- Ahearn, Allen & Patricia. Collected books, the guide to values. 1998 edition. New York, Putnam's Sons, 1997.
- First printings of American authors, contributions toward descriptive checklists. Detroit, Gale Research Company, 1977-1987. 5 vols.
- Twentieth-century crime and mystery writers. 3rd edition. Chicago, St. James Press, 1991.
Some additional favorite reference works in their subspecialties...
- Cheung, King-Kok. Asian American literature, an annotated bibliography. New York, Modern Language Association of America, 1988
- Afro-American poetry and drama, 1760-1975, a guide to information sources. Detroit, Gale Research Company, 1979. (American Literature, English literature, and world literatures in English, v.17).
- Young, Ian. The male homosexual in literature: a bibliography. 2nd edition. Metuchen, NJ, Scarecrow Press, Inc., 1982.
- Grier, Barbara. Lesbiana. Book reviews from the Ladder, 1966-1972. Reno, The Naiad Press, 1976.
William & Nina Matheson Books, Inc. specialize in 20th century first editions, literary private press books, and
books about books, with particular emphasis on first books, novels by poets, uncorrected proofs, advance reading copies, review copies, inscribed copies,
English editions of American authors, American editions of English authors, Southern authors, Canadian authors, Gay and Lesbian authors, African-American
and Asian-American writers. They are members of ABAA,ILAB, and IOBA.
Last update: July 24, 2000
Copyright © 2000 by Deanna Ramsay
Search for used titles
Top Ten: Shirley Bryant
Top Ten: Lynn DeWeese-Parkinson
Top Ten: Narnia Books
How Much is it Worth?
Identifying First Editions
Reviews of Book Price Guides
Science Fiction Reference Materials
Americana: A Bibliography
Early Children's and Illustrated Books
Your Old Books